Today VMware announced vSphere 6 and will be accompanied with other releases such as vCloud Suite 6, Virtual SAN 6, and vSphere with Operations Manager. vSphere 6 has over 650 new features and innovations which makes this quite a release. There are many new amazing features to talk about so i’ll start easy with some of the key features with links for additional reading. Expect lots of vSphere 6 write ups in the near future 🙂
vSphere 6 – New Maximums:
Few of my Favorite Features:
- Infrastructure Controller (IC): Service that will provide the following functions:
- Certificate Store
- Certificate Authority
- Service Registration
- Single Sign-On
- Enchanted Web Client: Faster web client vs vSphere 5 (still isn’t HTML5)
- vMotion Improvements:
- Long Distance vMotion: Increased network latency tolerance from 10 ms to 100 ms
- vMotion across vCenters: vMotion across data center and vCenter boundaries that vSphere 5 had.
- vMotion across virtual switches: Basically enables the above, can vMotion across Virtual Standard Switch (vSS) and Virtual Distributed Switches (vDSs).
- Fault Tollerance: Now supports 4 vCPUs, up from 1 vCPU.
- vVols (Virtual Volumes): New storage feature that allows virtual machines to interact with the storage directly without the need of VMFS LUNs.
- Content Library: Centralized management for VM templates, virtual appliances, ISO images, and scripts. (Wooooot!!!!)
- vCenter Appliance: Now has the same scalability numbers as the Windows installed vCenter: 1,000 hosts and 10,000 virtual machines. Also supports linked mode!! (Post coming soon on how to convert)
What’s New in VMware vSphere 6.0?